Grandparenting Time

Grandparenting rights in Michigan are limited to very specific circumstances.  The Courts generally agree that a parent of a child can determine whether contact with a grandparent is in that child's best interests.


A grandparent may file a petition for grandparenting time if:

- An action for divorce, separate maintenance or annulment involving the child’s parents is pending before the court;

- The child’s parents are divorced, separated under a judgment of separate maintenance or have had their marriage annulled;

- The child’s parent who is a child of the grandparents is deceased;

- The child’s parents have never been married, they are not residing in the same household and paternity has been established;

- Legal custody of the child has been given to a person other than the child’s parent or the child is placed outside of and does not reside in the home of a parent; or

- In the year preceding the commencement of the action for grandparenting time, the grandparent provided an established custodial environment for the child, whether the grandparent had custody under a court order.

Talk to an attorney today to see if you qualify to have grandparenting time ordered by the Court.  269-381-4471


121 W Cedar Street

Kalamazoo, MI 49007

All information provided on this site should not be construed as legal advice.   Always meet with an attorney to find out your legal options.

Copyright 2020 Stancati, Hencken & Greenlee P.C.