top of page

Can I file for Divorce online in Michigan?

Updated: Sep 25, 2020

With many Courts currently closed or open only by appointment, many are wondering if it is possible to file for divorce online? What options do you have if you want to dissolve your marriage?

The short answer is "no", divorce is much more complicated than simply filling out a form online and is certainly more complicated than getting married! Our office is still doing appointments via telephone to best prepare people to get their divorce cases filed as soon as courts reopen.

While many "SCAO" forms may be available online to be printed out, these documents must still be filed in person at your local family court. Knowing what forms and drafting the appropriate documents to be filed with the Court is what a family law or divorce attorney specializes in. It's always best to seek the advice of an attorney when initiating a legal proceeding of any sort.

When getting divorced, the first step in most cases is to file a "Summons and Complaint". These are legal documents that are required when suing your spouse for divorce. Many counties additionally have specific requirements of additional paperwork that must be filed when opening up a new divorce case. A local attorney can best assist you with what specific counties require in order to open up a case. Cases that involve minor children may require additional Motions or documents to be filed by an attorney to assist in protecting children. Cases that involve contested assets, such as retirement accounts or a house, may also require additional paperwork to be filed initially to help preserve and protect these assets as marital assets.

Once paperwork has been filed, it must be properly served on the other party. This must be done via process server, certified-restricted postal mail requiring a signature or the person themselves signing for the paperwork in front of a notary. An attorney can best assist you with making sure paperwork is served properly and proceeding with your case going forward depending on your specific situation.

Attorney Allison Greenlee Korr handles cases in Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and all surrounding counties, call today for a consultation.269-381-4471

None of the above information should be construed as legal advice relevant to your personal situation. Always consult an attorney.


Os comentários foram desativados.
bottom of page