top of page

What if I can't find my tax returns?

This post is meant to be a supplement to "What information do you need to prepare a bankruptcy case?"

To file for bankruptcy, you are required to provide copies of your most recent two years of income tax returns, both Federal (Internal Revenue Service) and State of Michigan. ALL of your required tax returns also must be filed, although you do not need to provide copies of all of them, just the most recent two years.

Often, people misplace their tax returns and need to obtain copies of them after the fact. The first place you should check to get copies of your tax returns is with the tax preparer, give them a call immediately to see if you can get copies. If you prepared them online, login to your account and see if you can download them. Make sure you are obtaining the actual documents you need, click here to see what your tax returns look like.

If you cannot obtain copies from the tax preparer, either online or from a person, you can obtain tax transcripts at the following links:

Federal IRS Tax Return Transcripts:

Attorney Allison Greenlee Korr handles bankruptcy cases in the Western District of Michigan, call today for a consultation. 269-381-4471

*The information provided on this page is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal or tax advice. Attorney Allison Greenlee Korr and Stancati, Hencken & Greenlee, P.C. take no responsibility for the links provided and are not responsible for your online security.


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page