How do you change Parenting Time in Michigan?

Updated: Sep 25

Changing parenting time is a much easier task than modifying child custody. A modification of parenting time only has a standard of proof of a “preponderance of the evidence”. This means that the parent requesting the change in parenting time must show that most of the evidence suggests that it is in a child’s best interests to change parenting time.

A change in parenting time means that the existing “Established Custodial Environment” will not be changed, only that the parenting time schedule will be modified, which usually means MORE parenting time is usually not awarded.

To change parenting time, you must prove that there has been a “change in circumstances” to modify parenting time, but this change has a lower threshold than actually modifying custody. Possible changes that could be considered to modify parenting time include:

  • A parent’s work schedule changing

  • A child’s school schedule has changed

  • A child has additional activities that may interfere with the current parenting time schedule

Modifying parenting time could also involve changing the conditions of parenting time, such as if a parent’s parenting time is currently supervised or if a parent is required to do drug testing or counseling in order to receive parenting time.

Ultimately, a parenting time order entered with the Court is meant to be permanent, so it’s important to make sure you have an attorney guiding you through the process whether you are entering your first order or attempting to modify an existing order.

Attorney Allison Greenlee Korr handles cases in Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and all surrounding counties, call today for a consultation. 269-381-4471


121 W Cedar Street

Kalamazoo, MI 49007

All information provided on this site should not be construed as legal advice.   Always meet with an attorney to find out your legal options.

Copyright 2020 Stancati, Hencken & Greenlee P.C.